The blueberry crisp was changed to a mixed berry crisp mostly because I had lotsa berries, not just blueberries. Funny how that works sometimes, eh?
The berries will determine the amount of sugar in the filling. My berries were a tad tart and really could’ve used another 1/4 cup sugar so I’ve adjusted the recipe below. What I’m saying here is, TASTE YOUR BERRIES HOMIE. If they’re tart, add more sugar. Don’t be shy.
In true crisp fashion, crumble the topping over the berries and cook until all those awesome berries are bubbling. I’m not even kidding when I tell you the smells coming from your oven will be the most amazing thing ever. I’m also not even kidding when I tell you to let that crisp cool before attempting to eat! Please! Bubbling fruit filling smells amazing and also makes for amazing burns in your mouth.
The no churn ice cream starts with sweetened condensed milk mixed with vanilla and bourbon. Unless you are completely against alcohol, then please please please give the bourbon a chance. It really smoothes out the ice cream. If you absolutely have to nix the bourbon, then double the vanilla in the recipe. That will help with the smooth factor. Grandma approves.
As with other no-churn recipes, whip 2 cups of heavy whipping cream and fold into the bourbon mixture until completely incorporated.
Pour the mixture into a loaf pan lined with saran wrap and refrigerate at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
You just have to try it. It doesn’t look like much but trust your foodie blogger, it is AMAZING.
Mixed Berry Crisp
(lightly adapted from Martha)
- 6 cups berries
- 1/2-3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup oats (or chopped nuts)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- To make the filling, in a large bowl mix the berries, sugar, cornstarch lemon juice & salt in a bowl. If your berries are sweet, only use 1/2 cup sugar. If your berries are a little sour, use 3/4 cup sugar. Pour into a 8-inch square baking dish and set aside.
- To make the topping, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in flour, oats, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. You may need to use your hands to squeeze ingredients together into clumps. Sprinkle over the filling.
- Bake until bubbling, approximately 1 hour. Cool before serving.
Vanilla Bourbon No-Churn Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons bourbon*
- Line a 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan with saran wrap. Set aside.
- Whip the heavy whipping cream on high until stiff peaks form (approximately 3 minutes). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract & bourbon. Gently fold in the whipped cream until thoroughly combined. Pour into lined loaf pan and place in freezer for at least 6 hours.
*Bourbon is optional but if you choose to remove it, double the vanilla extract.