First, you need to know that this recipe yields approximately 1,937,626 cookies. 3 sticks of butter and 4 3/4 cups of flour will do that to you. I personally have no issues with this – in fact I find it a plus – but I want you to prepare yo’self. Also, even though the name of these cookies is ‘Pumpkin Spice’ you’ll find there isn’t a whiff of pumpkin nor nary a pumpkin pie spice to be found. They simply contain the spices usually found in pumpkin pie, hence the name.
The recipe calls for dark molasses and I was out. I had some Sorghum which is either a type of molasses or molasses-y (I researched it and am still confused) so I used that instead. It works just fine and the cookies are still mighty tasty but if you have the choice between the two, choose the dark molasses.
After chilling the dough, it goes onto an ungreased cookie sheet unless you’re lazy like me and don’t want to clean cookie sheets. Then you use silicon baking mats. If I complete one thing in my life, it’s to tell you that these ice cream scoopers are God’s gift to us in times such as these.
Bake at 350* for 12-15 minutes. But you’re not done yet. These cookies are naked and a simple Quick & Easy Vanilla Frosting will clothe them just fine.
Bake sale worthy!
Thumbing my nose at doctor’s orders to be gluten/grain/fun-free; please take a page from my book and make yourself a pumpkin spice sandwich. Oh man.
Just try them. Martha wouldn’t steer you wrong.
Pumpkin Spice Cookies
- 4 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 sticks (1 1/2 lbs.) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then add eggs, vanilla and molasses. Beat until thoroughly combined.
- Slowly add flour mixture, make sure not to overbeat. Chill dough for at least 1 hour.
- Bake at 350* for 12-15 minutes on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Frost when cool.
Quick & Easy Vanilla Frosting
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/8 cup milk (I used whole)
- 1 1/2-2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the butter and milk in a medium sized bowl. Microwave for 15-20 seconds until milk is warm and butter starts to melt. Whisk until butter completely melts. Add vanilla. Slowly whisk in powdered sugar until achieving desired consistency.